Sunday, January 11, 2009

Neat Trick for Previews (Vista Only)

So, I have been working on my file organization stuff for Digi-Scraps.  I have been good since the beginning at keeping all of a kit together and in either the papers or elements including the TOU and the preview.  I find it is helpful when looking through to see a preview of the entire kit before deciding if I should use that kit with what I'm working on.

Well, I was trying to figure out a way to get all my previews together so I could look at them all at once for inspiration.  I was going to search and copy them out to another location, but I found a better way.  Unfortunately, this will only work with Vista.

From the Start Button, choose Search and then click Advanced Search.

For the location, change the pull-down to Choose Search Location.  Select the top level folder(s) where you store your items.  (Keep in mind this will only work if you've kept your previews in with them somewhere as well.0

Check the box for include non-indexed locations, system and hidden files.  This search really only works well if your stuff is in a non-indexed location, otherwise it starts searching for things in the files and you'll likely get too much back.

In the name box, search for:  *preview* OR *prev* OR *folder*      I've found that the kits I've collected so far typically include a preview file with one of those things in the file name.

You can select Show Only Pictures in the top bar to avoid other files if needed.

After that, click SEARCH and check out your results.  I like to set the View to Extra Large Icons so I can easily see the previews and run through them for inspiration.  I can see what folder they are by just right clicking and choose Open File Location.

When it looks right, save your search.  You can then open it anytime by going to your user folder and Searches.  It should also refresh automatically this way.



Makes me happy and gives me a great way to look at kits for inspiration!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds neat - I saved this to refer back to when I have Vista. Too bad it won't work for XP, huh? I have a laptop with Vista, but so far no scrap or pics stored there. Too small a HD.
    Neat tip tho - thank you for sharing!
    Tif

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.